Having a new house and no furniture (see: traveling the world for all of 2010) has left me needing … well, to fill a house with furniture.
I’ve instituted a “no particleboard” policy and have been trying to customize (or straight-out make) as much as I can. (Watch this space for an update about my upcoming dining room table.)
Dressers made of real wood are surprisingly hard to find, but craigslist came through with this old beaten up antique. ($20, yo!)
Originally I was going to go the traditional staining and varnishing route, but the wood top was so distressed that I decided to go with a solid black and satin varnish. Elina painted the new pulls blue and I think the whole thing comes together rather dramatically.
I didn’t realize the top three drawers were a different color than the bottom two, but I kinda like the effect.
This was definitely a project of the “quick and dirty” variety, but I love it anyway. ($35 altogether, yo!)
And now my clothes live somewhere besides the floor!